Re: (erielack) Nanuet Passing Sidings (ex NJ&NY RR)

At 09:40 AM 8/17/05, Michael Sheehy wrote:

>What would these people have said 50+ years ago, when there were 2-way
>trains...and God forbid FREIGHT trains, pulled by those DIRTY, LOUD, COAL
>BURNING steam engines??? :)

People 50+ years ago had more of a sense of "we", more of a sense of
community than they do now. It's the "me" attitude that's so pervasive now
that's the root cause of much of this in my opinion. The rise of NIMBY
power and it's negative effect on any improvements for the common good!

>Everybody has a right to their opinion, and to complain, but thankfully
>doing a major project like this does not require town-by-town approval.
>Park Ridge used to have two sidings (one passing, one industrial) now there
>are none, and the passing siding will not be replaced because of complaints.
>Hopefully NJT/Metro North has the latitude needed to complete this project
>successfully.  There is a bit of a reprieve in ridership now with the
>downtown reconstruction, but with the rebirth of Jersey City and Hoboken,
>and once the new "World Trade Center" is done, there should be a significant
>ridership increase.

The ludicrous comments made by various elected officials of some of the
towns along the Pascack Valley line opposing the additional passing sidings
makes me wonder how in the world they managed to get elected in the first
place. But I guess intelligence and common sense aren't prerequisites for
getting elected to public office.