(erielack) Fwd: [NSlehighline] A informative article about NJT's photo restrictions...

In a message dated 8/14/2005 4:24:29 PM Central Daylight Time,
tjh308_@_bellatlantic.net writes:
was found in Sunday's (Aug 14th) Courier News. I thought it was
written in a matter-of-fact manner and informative in stating the
facts railfans deal with. Even though it doesn't pertain to the
Lehigh Line, it is something that everyone has in the back of their
mind when they go railfanning these days...

To railroad enthusiasts keen on taking pictures of passing trains, a
proposal by NJ Transit that would regulate that activity is like a
slap in the face from a friend. The policy would require amateur
photographers to apply -- and be photographed -- for a permit issued
by NJ Transit. They would then have to call NJ Transit police 24
hours before taking their pictures. Some train enthusiasts believe
the proposed policy would go too far. NJ Transit officials say the
process is necessary for safety and so they know who is on the
property. A decision could be made by NJ Transit's Board of Directors
this fall, said Dan Stessel, spokesman for the state agency. The
policy is a hot topic in places where railroading enthusiasts meet,
such as in the Big Little Model Railroad Shop in Somerville, owner
Jan Kucsma said. "I'd have a problem with a permit," said hobbyist
Paul Krueger of Warren. "As long as you stay on the public (station)
platform, you don't need a permit. It's a public right to take
pictures on public property." Krueger said he's familiar with the
public safety aspect and follows this rule: Stay on the station
platform. Not all railroad hobbyists or amateur photographers know
that, Stessel said. One condition of the permit is that photographers
have to familiarize themselves with safety rules, he said. "The
amateur photographer is likely to engage in those behaviors that
compromise safety -- leaning over the platform as the train is
coming, using a flash (at an approaching train). Since the primary
objective is safety, we want to get them familiar with the rules." NJ
Transit currently requires amateur and commercial photographers to
obtain a daily permit from the agency's real estate office, he said.
Media photographers and camera crews are covered by their press
credentials. The permit idea was proposed by a former Central
Railroad of New Jersey railroader, Bill Wright of Cranford, who saw
it as a compromise. But Wright, who also is a director of the New
Jersey Association of Railroad Passengers, said he's not happy with
how the agency has interpreted his idea. "I suggested give them a
permit and that gives NJ Transit a list of people interested in
transit," said Wright, who serves on NJ Transit's North Jersey
Advisory Council. "The 24 hours calling ahead is ridiculous. People
grab a camera and go; they don't plan unless they're coming in from
Oregon," he said. Wright and others who take an interest in
railroading say that in some instances, NJ Transit police have gone
too far, even confronting people taking photos from streets and other
public places. Dennis Connell, vice president of RailPace magazine
based in Piscataway, has gone as far as contacting the state attorney
general last year and the New Jersey chapter of the American Civil
Liberties Union about the issue. The magazine started a column,
entitled "Boberwatch," named after NJ Transit's police chief Joseph
C. Bober, to document instances of photographer harassment. In the
column, Connell cited instances of NJ Transit police challenging
amateur photographers taking pictures of NJ Transit trains from
public property. "Profiling photographers, historians, artists and
ordinary citizens for photography, based on a hunch that their
photography is some how terrorism-related, is offensive and illegal,"
Connell said. He also questioned how NJ Transit police intend to
regulate use of cell phones capable of taking pictures. Connell added
that a terrorist isn't going to be as obvious as a railroad hobbyist
carrying a camera bag loaded with equipment. One hobbyist wrote to
the magazine about an incident in Trenton where he was on a street
photographing NJ Transit's River Line light rail and was stopped by
NJ Transit police who asked for identification. The officer conceded
that he was off NJ Transit property but advised him that he would
need a permit if he intended to ride the train and take photos. Other
hobbyists told of being detained, forced by police to delete images
from digital cameras and asked for identification. That concerns
Connell because such people could have their names turn up on watch
lists. Speaking of Bober, Wright said: "My concern as an advisory
board member is that he'll get NJ Transit sued and they'll lose
because his rules have no bearing on safety," Wright said. "Someone
will get hassled and will sue that their civil rights have been
violated." Stessel said the state attorney general's office has been
consulted about the proposed permit policy. Wright and Connell
dismiss the anti-terrorism argument because, in their view, a
terrorist could turn to volumes of photos of NJ Transit equipment,
tracks and stations available in books, magazines and on the
Internet. Both said NJ Transit is alienating a community which has
long functioned as a "neighborhood watch" for the railroad. Wright
told of calling NJ Transit after spotting a piece of broken rail in
Garwood. "When they see something wrong they call up and report it,"
Wright said. "Railfans are well-versed on what's right with the
railroad." Some clarifications to the policy have been made and
transmitted to NJ Transit police, Stessel said. "We have no
jurisdiction off the property -- you can stand in your yard and take
pictures of our trains. We concede there may have been instances
where the policy isn't clear and we've sought to remedy that. It's
been communicated to our police." Central Jersey hobbyists who've
been approached by NJ Transit police say they've been treated with
courtesy. "I've been politely asked what I'm doing and I've explained
I'm taking pictures of engines and cars," said George J. Schuler of
Manville. "They were satisfied with my response and left." Schuler
says the issue of security must be balanced with a person's
constitutional rights.
"If a law came down that said I had to get a permit, I wouldn't waste
my time getting one, when I can take pictures from the side of the
road. Taking pictures is something that happens spontaneously." New
York's Metropolitan Transportation Authority, which includes the
city's subway system, has abandoned two planned photo bans, Connell
said. Stessel noted, however, that the PATH line, operated by the
Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, has had a photo ban in
place since 1986. "The cops have this lockdown mentality," Wright
said. "No one wants the average person wandering around a shop or
train yard, but if they stand on the station platform, it's no harm
to anyone."

Click Here!

Addresses:
Post message: NSlehighline_@_yahoogroups.com