RE: (erielack) HO DL&W F3 AB for sale/Freelance Layout question

>From: "Brian LaManna" <brianlamanna_@_hotmail.com>
>To: erielack_@_lists.railfan.net
>Subject: (erielack) Freelance Layout question Date: Fri, 05 Aug 2005
>14:55:16 -0300

>I'm planning an O scale shortline layout based on the premise that the DL&W
>abandoned the Old Main west of Port Morris and the Sussex Branch during the
>Great Depression and that the lines were bought by Sussex, Warren and
>Morris Counties (maybe around 1946?) and reorginized as a proto-Regional
>railroad...what I'm wondering is: do you all think this is a plausible
>theory/scheme...putting aside your obvious love of the Lackawanna, do you
>think that the company might've -- in an alternate universe -- cast-off
>some older lines in an effort to streamline and maintain solvency?  I'm
>just curious...

Brian,

I don't think the DL&W would have been casting off the old road as of 1946
as it not only served as a means of interchange with the PRR, LV and CNJ,
but it still served as an emergency back-up line to protect the Cutoff.  At
least in 1946 anyway.  I would think that they were still doing well with
the economic boom that followed WWII.  Now if you were talking about the
later 1950's, I think you may have a more plausible theme.

Tom Schmieder