(erielack) Nepera

I saw the announcement that Nepera is closing.

The surrounding area has gone to from a sleepy little country town with little industry to a suburb of the extended metro area. As houses were built closer to the plant it made it more dangerous for the plant to operate.

A similar  near by chemical manufacturing plant  (i.e. Kay Fries in Stoney Point {"West Haverstraw"}) felt the same pressures and closed about 20 years ago. They had pressurized tank cars of dangerous chemicals within sight of people's back yards.

The local government was at fault for allowing homes to be built near a chemical plant with dangerous chemicals (the plant came long before the homes). Maybe they wanted the taxes.

New York is not the friendliest environment for chemical manufacturers; labor, taxes  and environmental compliance are expensive. The same chemicals are manufactured overseas in third world countries.

The traditional chemicals that Nepera manufactured are now considered more hazardous than
when the Nepera plant was built; perhaps their sales of those chemicals has declined.

I glad to find out that Nepera was built before the time frame I model. Does anyone know how much rail traffic they had in their hay day? Dan Biernacki told me about a leaking tank car Nepera had when he was a train dispatcher.

Ed

Edward B. Mines
238 Willard Dr.
Hewlett, NY  11557