Re: (erielack) Question for you Jersey guys!

- --- Al Reibel <areibel_@_netscape.net> wrote:
> This was posted on the model RR forum at trains.com-
>
> "I live in Pennsauken, NJ and as a kid the passenger train would run in
> the morning and evening along the line that went from Camden to
> Pemberton. I can rember the train as a whole but cannot remember what
> kind of engine it had. It was'nt steam as this was early to mid 60's.
> Thanks
> Keith Edginton"
>
> Were there other commuter roads besides the EL?

Ah, yes...

The "Big Red Subway", aka the Pennsylvania (PRR) - the Northeast Corridor.

The "Big Little Railroad", aka the Central Railroad of New Jersey (CNJ).

  Together, the PRR and CNJ ran the New York & Long Branch Railroad, now
known as NJT's North Jersey Coast Line.

The Reading ran between West Trenton and Bound Brook, where it used the
CNJ to reach Jersey City

The Lehigh Valley had passenger service, though few trains, until 1961.

In southern NJ, the PRR and Reading ran joint service between Camden and
many shore points including Atlantic City, Ocean City, Wildwood and Cape
May.  The PRR also ran through services from Philadelphia 30th St.

The CNJ served Atlantic City from Jersey City, going through the Pine
Barrens on a faster schedule than the PRR - its route was many miles shorter.

Gary R. Kazin
DL&W Milepost R35.7
Rockaway, New Jersey

http://www.geocities.com/gkazin/index.html