Re: (erielack) NJT PL42

- --- bill guimes <vze3fhdr_@_verizon.net> wrote:
> Additionally part 1, unless you are a NJT employee who has a monetary
> interest in said locomotive, why would you care?

My tax dollars at rest...

> Additionally part 2, unless you are Alstom, why would you care?

I hope there is a late delivery penalty of several thousand dollars a day
for each unit.  My tax dollars at rest.

> Additionally part 3, technically, they're not late. The locomotives had
> to have had been delivered before 12/31/04 to be exempt from Category II

The delivery schedule announced when the contract was awarded was the
first unit to Pueblo in July, all delivered to NJT in October and all in
service by the end of the year.  The first unit reached Pueblo in October.

> emissions. The first two were completed and running before that date.
> The only modifications made were of an ergonomic nature, and in no way
> affected the performance of the locomotive. And, we suspect that if the
> locomotives, or at least one, had not been running before 12/31/04, the
> FRA/EPA would have granted an exemption from Category II emissions.

There's no way to know that, is there?

> Additionally part 4, NJT trains are running fine without them, so why do
> you care?

It's my tax dollars at rest.  NJT has plenty of cars now that the Comet II
rebuild is done, the Comet V cars have arrived (though many have Alstom
making fixes on the ticket holders, seats, loose panels, etc), and few
Comet I cars have been retired.  More train sets can be made up if there
are more locomotives on hand - to run more trains, of course, and the
worst performing GP40-rebuilds could be retired before they die on the
road, as intended.

Gary R. Kazin
DL&W Milepost R35.7
Rockaway, New Jersey