Re: (erielack) The Cigarette Girl

I never heard of this gal, but did u or ur friends ever happen to see the
heavyset older guy that the DL guys used to let hang around the station &
sell newspapeers on the trains during the stop in Scranton. He appeared to be
retarded & would walk thru the coaches  on #s 5 & 6 or 1 & 2 mumbling
"Peppy??, Peppy??.
     After a while, I asked around & one of the conductors told me he had
been a pretty good boxer in the 40s, but took one too many hits to the head.
The railroaders let him hang around the station in the bagageroom & keep warm
in the winter & when the trains came in, he'd get on the coaches on one end &
walk thru selling the Scranton Times or the Tribune. He had an old canvas
paperbag like us kids used to have. (I had a TIMES route & later a TRIBUNE
route - they paid more).
      This was 'workfare' as seen on the DL&W. Hey, we gave tpoor guy a place
to keep warm & nobody bothered him.
Regards,
Walt Smith