(erielack) Olean

Hi Paul,

I've seen you've joined the Erielack list, and know
that you are interested in talking with Erie/EL fans
who have some knowledge of Olean.  I lived in Olean
when I was 12-16 (1944-1948).  I've always had an
affection for Olean and a regret that I didn't live
there long enough to graduate from Olean High School.

I was very interested in the railroads in Olean: not
only the Erie, but also the Pennsy and the Pittsburg,
Shawmut and Northern.  We lived for a year on North
5th Street in the block just above Oak Park.  I used
to go to the end of North 3rd Street to the foot
bridge over the Thatcher glass plant and the
Pennsylvania Railroad and spend hours there watching
trains.  There was a lot of activity in those days.  I
wonder if that foot bridge was still there in your
day.  We also lived for a short time on Garden Avenue
in East Olean, which gave me a good chance to watch
the comings and goings of the PS&N.  I was sorry when
it was abandoned in 1947.  I have very distinct
memories of the Erie passenger station and remember
the houses across the street, though not in detail.  A
friend and I hiked out the Erie line to Hinsdale and
back in mid January 1995 to fulfill the 14 mile hike
requirement for First Class Boy Scout.  Well, enough
reminiscing.

I suppose some of the following will be hard for you
find since you are a newbie, but here are some Erie
and EL pictures in the Olean area.

1. Westing & Staufer, "Erie Power", p.147 - Erie
Mikado #3087 leading an "extra" by what appears to me
to be Allegany  (the caption mistakenly states that
Olean is home to St. Francis College).

2. Crist, "Erie Memories" p. 48 - Erie Tr 8 (Atlantic
Express) powered by E8s on a straigh-a -way just
outside Olean on the way to Hinsdale in 1952.

3. DeYoung, "Erie Lackawanna in Color" Vol.2, p.24 -
X Tower at the diamond with the Pennsy, two pictures:
one of the tower itself and one looking toward the
passenger station from the tower.

4. The Railroadians of America, "The Next Station Will
Be", Vol.VIII, p.  a picture taken in 1909 of the
staion that you remember.

5. "National Railway (Historical Society) Bulletin",
Vol.59, No. 5, (1994) pp.12,13 - two photos of the
passenger station taken July 1960 as part of an
article on the last days of Erie passenger service by
Brian J. Cudahy.

There probably are other published pictures of Erie/EL
in Olean, but these are the ones that come to my mind
just now.  If you would like me to "Xerox" copy the
station pictures and send them to you, let me know.

I'm a little confused about your age.  You wrote that
passenger service was available until you were about
four (1961 or so), but EL passenger service survived
until January 1970.  Were you four in 1961 or in 1970?
 Maybe the things I remember were gone by your time
and are of little interest to you.  If you have
questions, however, I'd be happy to respond.

Bob Frost,  ELHS #980