(erielack) FW: 1900 Hoboken Lloyd Line Pier Fire

- -----Original Message-----
From: Michael Sheehy [mailto:stgcomm_@_optonline.net]
Sent: Thursday, April 10, 2003 2:48 PM
To: erielack-owner_@_lists.railfan.net
Subject: 1900 Hoboken Lloyd Line Pier Fire

This is from a message that I sent to the Hoboken FD, and although it is
slightly off topic I know that we have some New Jersey waterfront
experts here who might be able to steer me in the right direction.  (and
who knows, the Erie or Lackawanna might have passed by these piers!)

I am trying to contact the Hoboken Fire Department historian regarding
the Lloyd Line waterfront fire of June 30, 1900.  Specifically, I am
looking for information on my great-great grandfather, John Smith of
Jersey City (1865-1941), who according to his obituary was credited with
pulling ships away from the pier and into the harbor that day with the
tugboats that he owned and operated.  I would be interested to know how
I could determine if there are any records detailing his actions or any
commendations issued to him from the Hoboken FD or anyone else.  I am
trying to put together a family history, and at the same time am very
interested in this noteworthy event in the history of Hoboken.

Thank you,
Michael Sheehy