Re: (erielack) EL gp7 painting

In a message dated 3/9/2003 7:02:50 AM Pacific Standard Time,
squeaky_@_netsync.net writes:

> Listers, I am painting an Athearn GP7 in the black/yellow paint scheme.
> I will be using the Accu-paint Light Imitation Gold. What is a good
> thinner to use with this paint? Will I need to use a primer on the black
> Athearn shell or just 2-3 coats paint? I know that this is not totally
> accurate model but not to many people who see it are rivet counters or
> EL fans. It will be for show only.             Thanks  Mike Dickinson
> ELHS #837

Mike:

I'm not sure I've seen a relpy to your note, so I'll take a stab at it.

I suggest you use Accu-Paint thinner for your Accu-Paint.  This is nothing
like Floquil which appears to use lacquer thinner as solvent.  Smell of
Accu-Paint reminds me of ethanol.  Why risk your finish with the wrong
thinner.

Accu-Paint doesn't cover well, it's quite thin and transparent.  If you paint
a black shell yellow, I predict you will require between 11 and 13 coats of
yellow to cover the black. :^)

But seriously, I suggest you prime it in a light grey, then lay down your
yellow and then the black.

Tim Costello