Re: (erielack) Steam Commuter Operation

In a message dated 3/13/03 4:26:03 PM Eastern Standard Time,
emontgom_@_LAN.TJHSST.EDU writes:

>  I realize that
>  Lackawanna management converted steam commuter trains over
>  to diesels because of the coal strike.  But what if they didn't?

I had this very conversation with Perry Shoemaker in the mid-1990s.  He
agreed that the coal strike and union leader John L. Lewis was a contributor
to end of steam here in the East, but that there were so many other factors.

Even without the strike the engines would have lasted only until the next
major repair or when the flue time was up, and most were close on the flue
time  Too, they couldn't avoid the coal strike as the ferries and most tugs
still burned coal.  We hindsighters, too, need to keep in mind that cost
savings from the closing of steam facilities and employees and support
equipment was greater than the cost of financing new diesels.  Almost every
railroad simply had to buy diesels to be fiscally responsible.

Perry loved the steam engines privately, and after he retired he was part of
a consortium trying to develop a modern steam locomotive in the era of SD45s.
He looked at the concept differently than Ross Rowland, though Ross certainly
garnered more attention.

                         ....Mike