(erielack) Erie and Wyoming Valley

To shed a little more light on #10, I remember the Vine Street connection as
a kid in the late 50s-early 60s.

I can probably count on both hands the number of times we saw a boxcar
sitting there waiting for transfer to either road. The physical connection
was behind the culm banks on the Dunmore side. The Erie spur split at Ash
Street and continued to the culm banks. After crossing North Washington
Avenue, the D&H spur continued straight and then swung around the culm banks
to meet Erie.

I would imagine the connection had much more traffic back in the 20s and
maybe 30s as the Johnson Coal Mine was located at that point. I'm not sure
how long the Johnson mine lasted but I do recall the elderly couple next door
telling me how the husband used to work at that mine, which was long before
my birth. The maps should show the location of the mine.

Rick,

New York, NY

End of EL List Daily V3 #566