RE: (erielack) The Diamond

> The story on the 'lopsided' baggage cars were interesting.  I had
> seen the RPO-Baggage-Coach in the Kraus-Krist
> <bold>SUSQUEHENNA</bold>
> book and always wondered why the window arrangement on that
> car was different from the "Stillwells".  Basically because they
> weren't "Stillwells".  Am I correct to assume that some of these
> cars that were converted to all "express" made it into the EL
> G/M/Y colors?

I have a photo of EL #502, one of the "lopsided" cars in fresh EL paint.
George Elwood's site has some more:

#502: http://gelwood.railfan.net/pax/el502.jpg
#504: http://gelwood.railfan.net/pax/el-b504.jpg

So at least two of them got repainted!

> One last question thought.  On page 25 there is a night shot of
> RS3 918 with 5 Boonton cars in the Spring of 1971.  The caption
> says this is train 1013.  But it is e/bound so it would have to have
> an odd number; right?  And by the Spring of 1971 the push-pulls
> would be in operation.  So I'm wondering just what train this might
> be?  There were no evening e/bounds by this time.  Could this be
> an extra or deadhead movement? Bob Bahrs is credited for the
> photo.

You mean *even* numbered, don't you? The push-pulls were probably not
fully deployed in commuter service yet - I have shots in my collection
of RS3s and GP7s running into 1973 here....

Of course, Bob is on the list and he can probably answer it better than
anyone else... ;)