(erielack) The Diamond

of <bold>The Diamond</bold>.  The recollections of "The Lake Cities" was
great.  I had always heard that EL ran that train as a first-class
operation right up until the end.  I had heard the President Maxwell
said that if EL was going to run a long distance train, that it ought
to have first-class accomodations.  Not just a couple of coaches
and a Geep.  When I first moved down to Northern Virginia I met a
guy who worked for Amtrak.  He had crossed the country on trains
before Amtrak.  He was one of the few who made the "across the
platform" transfer at Dearborn from the AT&SF to EL.  He was
impressed with EL's passenger train operation.  He noted the high
quality of their dining car operation.  I don't think he had one
positive thing to say for Penn-Central's trains.  Apparently they
were filthy, and not maintained.

The story on the 'lopsided' baggage cars were interesting.  I had
seen the RPO-Baggage-Coach in the Kraus-Krist <bold>SUSQUEHENNA</bold>
book and always wondered why the window arrangement on that
car was different from the "Stillwells".  Basically because they
weren't "Stillwells".  Am I correct to assume that some of these
cars that were converted to all "express" made it into the EL
G/M/Y colors?

The story about "Grover" was great as well.

One last question thought.  On page 25 there is a night shot of
RS3 918 with 5 Boonton cars in the Spring of 1971.  The caption
says this is train 1013.  But it is e/bound so it would have to have
an odd number; right?  And by the Spring of 1971 the push-pulls
would be in operation.  So I'm wondering just what train this might
be?  There were no evening e/bounds by this time.  Could this be
an extra or deadhead movement? Bob Bahrs is credited for the
photo.

Anybody have any thoughts?

Ed Montgomery

<nofill>