Re: (erielack) And now for the Flatiron Building link

This is the view referred to in the original NY Times story.  The Erie had
a ticket office in the building that was on the site BEFORE the Flatiron
Building.  This is 1893:

http://www.nyhistory.org/flatiron/gallery6.html

And why did the Erie have a ticket office at Madison Square?  Because the
New York Central had its station there, across the street where the park
is now, before cutting the tracks back to 42nd St.  The New Haven ran
there also - and continued after the first Grand Central was built, there
were tracks continuing south on Fourth Avenue for the NH into the tunnel.
Earlier, the trains had run farther downtown - pulled by horses.

The building in Madison Square later became the first Madison Square
Garden (duh).  Why didn't the Erie have a ticket office in the Flatiron
Building?  Because the NYC had moved.

- --- dennis.j.mcdermott_@_verizon.com wrote:

> Continuing with the virtual tour, go to this link to see the Flatiron
> building and its history.  These pics will assure all that the Flatiron
> building is part of the Erie and it's history.
>
> http://www.nyhistory.org/flatiron/gallery.html
>
> I tried to make this link easier so no one will suffer "long and
> tedious" searching. ;-)

=====
Gary R. Kazin
DL&W Milepost R35.7