To: =20

Subject: Erie-Lackawanna out of Hoboken, NJ prior to 1973=20

Date: Fri, 3 May 2002 20:34:57 -0400=20

old) do a project on the E-L from Hoboken to Callicoon, NY prior to 1973.
Cannot remember when passenger svce. to Callicoon was discontinued but it
must have been in '70's or even in '60-'s.  I have told him how I would
take bus svce. from Rockefeller Plaza into Hoboken and then board train
for Callicoon (many times it was the Phoebe Snow). At Port Jervis we
would change engines and thence to Callicoon.  At Hoboken we would choose
to use the dining car and enjoy a delightful supper, returning thereafter
to the passenger car to enjoy the sights.  At Callicoon we would be met
by our uncle and spend time visiting on his farm.  At times, going home
after our visit the train would be so crowded we would have to stand all
the way to Hoboken.  Sometimes they would put on an extra car but not too
often. I also have told him about the early 12900's when tracks were
being built the train would only come to Callicoon where they would lay
over for the return trip to Hoboken.  My father's aunt was a waitress at
the Olympia Hotel in Callicoon and there she fell in love with a Pullman
Porter who laid over.  They ran away and were married, only to be
ostracized by her family for marrying a black man.  However, their
marriage lasted for many years only to be broken up by the death of her
Pullman Porter.  They had one child, a girl, who married a black man and
they had several children who all recived a wonderful education and went
on to become teachers and an Air Force officer.

In 1949 as a 13 year old I was to leave for NY aftert having spent the
summer in Callicoon.  Upon arrival at the Callicoon Station the train was
in but we were on wrong side of tracks.  After going under viaduct and
around to other side of the station we arrived to find the train leaving
Callicoon. I had to spend another night at the farm and the next day
caught the train home, arriving only a few hours before my brother's
wedding and having to wear a dress my mother had to buy without me being
there for a fitting - embarassing!!=20

Would appreciate anything you could send me about the last passenger
train through Callicoon  and the station as it is now - used by=20
Conrail.

Thank you so much.  Loretta Mele - lmele_@_catskill.net

</smaller></fontfamily>

</excerpt><<<<<<<<