Re: (erielack) Heights of diesels, was May calendar photo

- ----- Original Message -----
From: Tupaczewski, Paul R (Paul) <paultup_@_lucent.com>
To: 'Schuyler G Larrabee' <sgl2_@_ix.netcom.com>; Tupaczewski, Paul R (Paul)
<paultup_@_lucent.com>; <erielack@lists.railfan.net>
Sent: Thursday, May 02, 2002 9:41 AM
Subject: RE: (erielack) Heights of diesels, was May calendar photo

> > > These units still have the as-delivered back-to-back single chime
> > > "blat" horns - the EL later replaced these and moved them to the
> > > engineer's side
> > of
> > > the cab with multi-chime horns that were mounted on
> > brackets to make
> > > them lower profile (which makes me wonder - did the clearance issue
> > > that forced the movement/lowering of the horns not exist in 1965?)
> >
> > Of course it did.  The tunnels in Cleveland didn't get smaller . . .
>

> But this begs the question - why didn't they come with low-profile
equipment
> to begin with? Was there an oops one day when a C424 went through
Cleveland?
> :)

I don''t know when the "oops" was, but I am sure that was what happened.
And when it did, somebody got to thinking "Maybe we'd better check this out
for other engines . . . "

> > But to be a little fair (just a little, now, don't get
> > excited!) if you take a look at a technical drawing of the
> > front elevation of an Alco Century, and an EMD SD, you'll
> > find that the EMD fills out the clearance diagram a lot more
> > than the Alco.  There probably was room for the horns on the Alco.
>
> Again, why bother moving the horns on the Alco, then?

OK, so maybe there wasn't enough room.

> I have plate diagrams of EMD SD45s and GE U36C's at home - I always
thought
> the GE's were bigger than the SD's, so it just makes me scratch my head
why
> the EMD had all this ultra low-profile equipment (not just fans, too -
> dynamic brake vent and dust bin blower housings, too!) - this photo shows
> it's a close call:
>
> http://gelwood.railfan.net/loco/el3321w.jpg
>
> The GE's rounded radiator housing on top probably allowed sufficient
> clearance throught the tunnels.

Right.

> This photo shows that unmodified SD45s seem to indeed be taller than the
> GEs:
>
> http://gelwood.railfan.net/loco/el3327l.jpg
>

> Also, why were the new U36C's delivered with high-mounted horns behind the
> cab:
>
> http://gelwood.railfan.net/loco/el3325as.jpg
>
> And then moved lower ahead of the cab (like SD45s and Centuries):
>
> http://gelwood.railfan.net/loco/el3326o.jpg
>

> Or was that just a GE "oops"?

It would be easy to forget to spec this, I suppose.  Might just as much have
been a Terminal Tower oops, as a GE oops.

SGL