Re: (erielack) Model Paints Accurate for the Erie / EL

   David

   I have and still do use accu-paint. I have found
most of thier colors to be, well , really accurate. I
use it all the time on brass with great results. the
paint is no harder to use than Floquil and responds
really well with high quality Dupont Laquer Thinner #
3602 or 3661both have a very quick fume rate so an
outside venting booth is neccesary. ( Not the cheap
stuff from home depot or ace hardware, use that to
clean your air gun afterwards. that stuff is the
laquer thinner equivelent to Walgreen's Brand Scotch)

  I also use Dupont Automotive primer as a base and
Auto laquer gloss black for steam. doctored up in
varrying degrees for that proper weathered look.

  The trick is to thin it out A LOT and spray in light
even, and repetitive coats. I have found the
ACCU-PAINT hard to find but the closest match for alot
of roads ,especially Soo Line Maroon and most of the
Maroons in general as they seem more maroon instead of
" Primer/oxidish red"

  Don't flame me , but I have never used their Erie
colors. All my Erie is in steam black, except for one
Bachman GS-4  in two tone green. And I don't do EL at
all. I do though, do quite a bit of custom stuff for
others and like the colors of the Accu-paint, thhough
hard to find it's good stuff and durable for operation
based layouts ans especially on brass.

  Painting brass tips are
1. disaasemble completely
2. bead/sand blast to a nice lusture
3. soak in vinager to lightly "etch" and clean off oil

4. don't touch with bare hands after use gloves
( I you don't have a bead blaster go to vinager, or
buy one Badger makes a very affordable one for $
20.00)
5. prime , paint let dry between coats

Good luck
 The best part about brass and Laquer if you don't
like it soak it in a jar of the ceap stuff for a
couple of days and repeat.  ( don't rebead blast it
does burn off detail if used to much, and large jars
for even DD40x sized engines can be found at a Sam's
Club or Costco, you just have to eat whats in it)

Rich Young