Re: (erielack) Pronunciation-crazy :)

Tupaczewski, Paul R (Paul) wrote:

> On to more closely-related EL pronunciations: How was the Lackawanna car
> name "Tioughnioga" pronounced?!?  Or "Cochocton?" (sp?)
>
>         - Paul

Dear Paul and Group,

Tioughnioga:  ty-oaf-nee-OH-ga

The Tioughnioga River parallels the DL&W Syracuse Branch.  Its tributary
branches join at Cortland.  The Tioughnioga then flows south through
Marathon and Whitney Point into the Chenango River at Chenango Forks.
The Chenango (another DL&W 10-6 sleeper!) drains into the Susquehanna at
Binghamton.

Cohocton:  co-HOC-ton

Cohocton is a town in Steuben County on the DL&W Main between Avoca and
Wayland.  The Cohocton River roughly parallels the DL&W main from this
area to Painted Post / Gang Mills, where it joins with the Tioga River
to form the Chemung River.  The Chemung flows through Corning and
Elmira, then drains into the Susquehanna at Tioga Point in Athens, PA
(just south of Sayre).

CAUTION!!!  Of special relevance to EL fans...
Avoid confusing Cohocton with Cochecton on the Delaware Division (Erie)
just northwest of Narrowsburg.  As for pronunciation of Cochecton --
sorry, it's outside my frame of geographic knowledge.  Anyone know if
it's a hard "ch" or soft "sh" sound??

Cheers,
Alan <quahog_@_sprint.ca>