Re: (erielack) Model Paints Accurate for the Erie / EL

Rich Young wrote about
Subject: Re: (erielack) Model Paints Accurate for the Erie / EL

>    David
>
>    I have and still do use accu-paint. I have found
> most of thier colors to be, well , really accurate. I
> use it all the time on brass with great results. the
> paint is no harder to use than Floquil and responds
> really well with high quality Dupont Laquer Thinner #
> 3602 or 3661both have a very quick fume rate so an
> outside venting booth is neccesary. ( Not the cheap
> stuff from home depot or ace hardware, use that to
> clean your air gun afterwards. that stuff is the
> laquer thinner equivelent to Walgreen's Brand Scotch)
>
>   I also use Dupont Automotive primer as a base and
> Auto laquer gloss black for steam. doctored up in
> varrying degrees for that proper weathered look.

So Rich, do I understand that you thin the Accupaint with lacquer thinner?
That's interesting, since AP is >not< lacquer thinner based.  It's an ink
(which is why the decal colors MATCH, they are made with exactly the same
stuff) with an alcohol based solvent. Other modelers have diluted paints
with other-than-the-manufacturer's-materials (Some people thin Polly-Scale
with alcohol, for example) but I didn't think this would work for AP.

Do you use the AP primer on Brass, or do you just shoot the thinned AP on
directly?  I have never had any decent luck with AP, and on brass, their
primer seems very thick, obscuring detail.  If I could use the AP directly
on the brass, then maybe I'd get more interested in struggling through
getting it to work.  Do you apply some other color to act as a primer,
evening out the different colors of substrate materials (like solder with
brass)?

>   The trick is to thin it out A LOT and spray in light
> even, and repetitive coats. I have found the
> ACCU-PAINT hard to find but the closest match for alot
> of roads ,especially Soo Line Maroon and most of the
> Maroons in general as they seem more maroon instead of
> " Primer/oxidish red"

*snip*

>   Painting brass tips are
> 1. disaasemble completely
> 2. bead/sand blast to a nice lusture
> 3. soak in vinager to lightly "etch" and clean off oil
>
> 4. don't touch with bare hands after use gloves
> ( I you don't have a bead blaster go to vinager, or
> buy one Badger makes a very affordable one for $
> 20.00)
> 5. prime , paint let dry between coats

Vinegar is good, but I have been using vinegar with salt dissolved in it (as
much salt as it will take) which makes dilute hydrochloric acid, and does a
better job of etching than the straight vinegar.

SGL