(erielack) Local nomenclature for RR

Alan Samostie asked:

		Does the EL name survive in western PA, Ohio and Indiana, or
do those who remember the railroad at all still call it the Erie?

I can't speak for Ohio and Indiana, but here in W. PA and W. NY (I live
about 20 miles s. of the border) you hear both EL and Erie.  A lot of it
depends on the age of the person.  Those born before say, '55 or '56 (I be
polite and not indicate ages, you do the math) tend to refer to it as the
Erie.  Those born after 55 tend to refer to it as the EL.

One notable exception is an acquaintance of mine, who was born in 56 and
traveled every summer with his family to N. NJ through to say, 64 / 65, to
visit relatives, still calls it the Erie (and did even during the CR years,
when a freight came through Wellsville, he would remark that there was a
train running on the Erie).

 Chris