Re: (erielack) True Colors

Al Reibel wrote:

> I need the expertise of the modelers on this list!
> I think it's been discussed briefly since I've been on
> this list, but can anyone recommend the proper G-M-Y
> paints that are most accurate? Accupaint, Floquil, etc.??
> or which "mix" will give the best match?

Dear Group,

The "proper" G-M-Y colours have been a topic of considerable debate on
this group.  Memory (for those fortunate enough to remember!) and colour
photographs are the best guides, although one has to take weather and
lighting into account when trying to match model paint colours to
photographs.

It would seem that the original DL&W colours changed gradually after the
merger, and not just due to fading.  The grey applied after the
mid-1960s seemed several shades darker, with a more bluish (or even
greenish) tint than the original DL&W grey.  The yellow became "more
yellow," as opposed to the warm goldenrod tone of the original DL&W
yellow.  (Over time, the EL yellow faded to a pale cream yellow, which I
don't ever recall seeing in colour photos of the original DL&W units,
even after fading).  The maroon applied to the E8s, F units and PAs
seemed a bit more red, and less "rich" than the DL&W maroon, while the
maroon used on the second-generation GEs and EMDs appeared more
brownish.

That being said, the Floquil/Polly S "EL maroon" is just *too* brown for
my liking, as is the maroon colour on most Athearn locomotives.  For
this reason, I agree with Paul Tupaczewski's idea of using a blended
"Rock Island maroon" rather than "EL maroon."  The LifeLike P2K colours
seem about right, though.

Paul, would you kindly re-post the colour blends that you have devised?

Cheers,
Alan <quahog_@_sprint.ca>