RE: (erielack) re: DL&W E8 horns

> Alan and list:  Mark I Video tapes are wonderful visual
> resources for the era, containing many jewels that we would
> never otherwise enjoy. However, listening to new tapes of old
> trains could be misleading.  People weren't shooting tape,
> with audio, back then: they were using film, and mostly
> silent, at that.  Mark is a leading genius in finding an
> appropriate sound bite and editing it into a tape of a silent
> film to give us an idea of what it was like.  He uses an
> arrangement of his own invention and plays it like E. Power
> Biggs at the Salt Lake City Tabernacle.   But I wouldn't
> guarantee that every diesel horn on video tape is the horn of
> that locomotive, or even the same type of horn.

Several Mark I videos have incorrect sound, too. One video had a brace
of GP7s with turbocharged EMD 645s (like SD45s) dubbed in. Another one
had a GE U33C with the SD45 sounds too. Listener beware! One of the EL
Memories videos has some SD45s, and the sound for that was lifted
STRAIGHT out of another tape of his, Susquehanna Spectacular. Right
diesel sound, wrong horn!