(erielack) Re: Erie Main / Graham Line

Hello Everyone,

Al, here are some answers to your questions about the
Erie rail-trail through Orange County, NY…You can park
at the Shortline Bus commuter parking lot in Monroe to
use the rail-trail (The Heritage Trail is the official
name of it), but from what I understand only on
weekday evenings and on weekends, because the rest of
the time its permit parking for the NYC commuters…In
the last month they have constructed a new, small
parking lot, I believe meant only for rail-trail users
adjacent to the Shortline lot and behind Museum
Village. The trail closes at dusk.   The paved section
is about 9 miles long (Monroe to Goshen).  The old
Greycourt Station site and siding can be reached by
using the trail or by car…Its at the end of Greycourt
Rd in Chester, behind a Golf Cart distribution
facility.  There is a large dirt lot there where some
people park to use the trail, but I’m not sure if its
private property.  There are two old Penn Central flat
cars on a disconnected piece of track there next to
the siding at Greycourt.  Walking east down the rail-
trail at this point you can see on the left side where
the old Erie Newburgh Branch right-of way was, its
quite overgrown.  Free parking is available at the
Chester Station Museum and in Goshen also.  The safety
hazard I was referring to is an old prison that has
been converted in to a men’s homeless shelter (known
as Camp LaGuardia) by the City of New York near the
trail in the Greycourt-Chester area.  The residents of
this facility regularly use the trail and there have
been some altercations over the years…the police
patrols and call boxes seem to have lessened these
problems…I guess what I’m saying is when you go, be
aware of your surroundings and like I said, don’t go
by yourself and bring a cell phone if you have one.

I have a few photos I took last spring and summer of
the stations along the old Main Line through Orange
County, I’ll try to get them scanned over the next
week or so and e-mail them into the list.

Regards,

Rich P.