(erielack) re: DL&W E8 horns

Alan and list:  Mark I Video tapes are wonderful visual resources for the era, containing many jewels that we would never otherwise enjoy. However, listening to new tapes of old trains could be misleading.  People weren't shooting tape, with audio, back then: they were using film, and mostly silent, at that.  Mark is a leading genius in finding an appropriate sound bite and editing it into a tape of a silent film to give us an idea of what it was like.  He uses an arrangement of his own invention and plays it like E. Power Biggs at the Salt Lake City Tabernacle.   But I wouldn't guarantee that every diesel horn on video tape is the horn of that locomotive, or even the same type of horn.

Years ago, X2200S did a definitive work on horns, with make, model, number of chimes, each chime's tone, and a musical notation so you could play it on a keyboard. . . but you still have to know what you are looking for and what you are looking at and listening to.

[Never use a preposition to end a clause with.]

Randy Brown