Re: (erielack) Univ Of Akron Erie Lackawanna Archives

Michael Riley wrote, reporting on his experiences with

Subject: (erielack) Univ Of Akron Erie Lackawanna Archives

Said, among many other things:

> I was in awe of these
> charts.  Even showed roads that crossed, mileposts and other information
> that I could not determine.  What I am refering to is a line and it had
> curves in the line with markings that said 1 had a circle next to it like
> degrees and then 15'.  Only thing I can think of is that these were
markings
> regarding the track curves.  Where they curved, what degree, etc.

That's exactly what those lines are.  They indicate the tangent parts of the
line, and the curves in the line, with the curves expressed in degrees of
curvature.  I believe I am correct in saying that the degree of curvature
indicates the number of degrees the curve has changed one's heading after
100' of line.  (I might not be correct on that . . .)

Mike goes on to say:

> If you can make a trip to Akron, do so.  However, wait until the ELHS
> archives are organized, collated, etc.  This will provide you with more
> information that they can get to.  The help there is very great.  They
will
> assist you as best they can.

You will wait a long time if you wait for that.  Not because we are not
working on it, but because there is material coming in all the time, and I
doubt we will get "everything" organized and catalogued for a very long
time, if ever.  Actually, I hope it is never, because there is so much stuff
that we can find.

And that reminds me, if you have stuff in your house, original material,
that's doing nobody any good by sitting there, inaccessible to hundreds of
other who would like to see it . . . consider donating it to the Archive.
Tax deductions can be arranged, it will be in an environment where it will
survive for a very long time, and others can then see it and get at the
information.  Just like Mike did.  I know that there are tons (probably
literally tons) of paper in sheds, garages, basements, attics and so on that
are not even being looked at by their owners except to say "yup, that's my
stuff."  All that stuff getting cold, hot, damp, dry, in each season . . .
it's destroying it.  So please think about what SHOULD be done with it.

SGL