(erielack) Univ Of Akron Erie Lackawanna Archives

Hello to everyone.  Hope everyone is having a safe and enjoyable holiday
season,

     As I had mentioned on the list about a month ago or so, today was the
day I went to look at the Erie Lackawanna Archives.  There are 2 archives
there.  One is the ELHS archives and the second is the corporate archives.

To summarize here is what I saw, my observations, etc.:
Hours at the archives are 8a-5p EST.  I arrived at 8:20a-8:30a.  I started
out looking at the ELHS archives and decided to look at the train
orders/dispatch reports.  The ELHS archives are currently being organized by
Scott Randolph and is a work in progress.  They were able to locate the
dispatch reports.  These reports are amazing.  A little background
information:  the forms remind me of accounting ledgers.  they were very big
4' height x 8' wide.  They were dated 5-31-1960 and another dated 1958.  All
the reports that I saw were from the Kent Subdivision.  Very informative
(and confusing to a non-dispatcher like myself).  Everything (I mean
EVERYTHING) is documented.  Dispatcher on duty.  Train engine, time left.
When it arrived at certain points on the line.  When the train crossed over
to other tracks.  Crew member names.  Much more information that I could not
tell what it was referring to.  There are 4-5 rolls in each box and there
are 30 boxes.  So, you could spend a whole day just looking at these.  Next
I started to look at diagrams and drawings of the EL.  I found 2 extremely
interesting books.  First was titled the "EL locomotive Diagram book."  In
this book included all specifications (builder, EL #'s, how many the EL had,
wheel dia, dynamic brakes (yes or no), locomotive class, and much more) and
also dimensional drawings of the locomotives.  This was a very interesting
find.  Another was the "Erie Railroad Diagrams of Passenger Equipment."
This detailed the Pullman cars that the Erie had in May of 1952.  Complete
with dimensional drawings and layout of the cars (found this to be extremely
interesting).  It is 68pages long complete with a roster.  It would be great
to be able to get originals of these documents.  After I found these I tried
to see if I could find track diagrams, maps or such of the EL.  The ELHS
archives are (as I mentioned) a work in progress so getting into these
currently is not available.  I am going to check back in a few months and
see if they have cataloged these items and will go back again.  Next I
decided to look at the EL corporate archives.  Specifically the DLW and Erie
Merger documentation.  It was interesting to look at documents older than I
am.  Looking at the letterheads were very interesting.  Got the same feeling
when you look at old advertisements from the 1950s or so.  Seems so long
ago.  I found documentation on why the DLW and Erie Merger should take
place.  Found a few interesting things I saw.  1) would save roughly
$13,000,000 before taxes in cost being together within 5 years or so.2) they
would also be spending $10,000,000 to upgrade facilities on the route.
After the merger the EL would be 12th of 110 major railroads in the US.  I
started to laugh.  What is there now 4?  Soon to be 2 I am sure.  Then I
thought they are definately including regional railroads, etc.  Very
interesting maps, interviews with Erie and DLW management employees that
were submitted to the ICC as exhibits in regards to the application for the
merger.  Next we decided to look at the ICC valuation maps.  Oh boy.  These
are like blueprints.  Very big.  About 3' x 6'.  If you could afford to
reproduce these (cost is about $15-$20 a piece) you would know more about
the railroad, its customers than anyone.  The maps are originally dated
1918.  Then have been restamped 1960 Erie Lackawanna.  I looked at my
hometown and noticed rail lines that even my dad did not know about.  It was
incredible.  From Leavittsburg, OH to the Ore Docks in Cleveland, they
comprise of about 20-30 maps, I would guess.   It is unbelievable.  Very,
Very detailed.  Some maps include signals.  Some maps are not legible and
very hard to read.  No fault of the age of the document or the way it is
stored.  Seems to have big blueprint stamps on some parts of the maps.
Next up was more boxes of the corporate records.  Specifically, the
miscellaneous maps and miscellaneous items boxes.  Good finds in these
boxes:  miscellaneous maps included maintenance charts from 1975.  Outlined
every rail line, every division, every crossover on the railroad, and a
sample elevation like a side view of the terrain.  I was in awe of these
charts.  Even showed roads that crossed, mileposts and other information
that I could not determine.  What I am refering to is a line and it had
curves in the line with markings that said 1 had a circle next to it like
degrees and then 15'.  Only thing I can think of is that these were markings
regarding the track curves.  Where they curved, what degree, etc.  These
diagrams were great.  Love to get origials of these too.  Wow.  Finally I
finished up looking at a miscellaneous study by the Chessie System.  It was
a review on them acquiring the EL and the Reading.  The report stated that
they would have kept everything east of Cleveland (First Subdivison) and
east of Sterling, Ohio (mainline).  It is a shame this didn't happen.  At
least we would have a lot to still look at.  Well, that is it.  So much
information, so little time.

If you can make a trip to Akron, do so.  However, wait until the ELHS
archives are organized, collated, etc.  This will provide you with more
information that they can get to.  The help there is very great.  They will
assist you as best they can.

There were a few people that requested me to look up information.  I will
contact you seperately off list, as soon as I can (tonight hopefully).

Mike Riley