Re: (erielack) Trailers-on-flat-car traffic...

As was mentioned in the 'Diamond' article, Huntington, IN had a piggyback
ramp, which was located in the rear of the yard, near the lead to the "Our
Sunday Visitor" plant. This ramp was made up of a 'white-lined' Lackawanna
flatcar, with one truck removed and that end buried in the ground. The end
with the truck, also had the coupler. So, the cars to be loaded/unloaded
were coupled to the "ramp", the bridgeplates flipped down, and the trailers
were driven on or off.

The flatcar was in place and intact until the early 90's, when it was torn
out to make room for an industrial expansion. Somewhere around here, I have
photos of it.

Michael Dye ELHS#1516

>From: Smtimko_@_aol.com

>Leavittsburg, Oh had a wooden piggy back ramp built of ties and timbers
>that
>was constructed in the 1950's and survived right up to Conrail.  I can't
>remember ever seeing it used for piggy-back operations though, but I have
>seen machinery unloaded at that location.
>
>Sharon, Pa had a piggy-back ramp located between the Sharon, Pa single
>track
>and Ferrona Yard.  It was used daily and cars were forwarded mainly to the
>West in regular freight trains such as 187 or MC-3.  That ramp was also a
>wooden ramp made of bridge and switch timbers and it survives today at
>Wheatland, PA (on the former PRR) as a ramp to unload box cars for Bi-State
>Storage.  The storage company relocated it in the 1990's with our
>blessings.
>
>There was a ramp at Akron, Ohio also.  I don't recall any in Meadville,
>Jamestown, Salamanca or Olean, but there MAY have been one.
>
>smt

End of ErieLack Digest V3 #414