(erielack) Concerning Erie 2-10-4's let's really compare! & book review

	Schuyler and List

	In looking for NKP Berk and related materials for
this weekends work on the NKP 765. I dug out a lot of
my Lima Materials,during the course of this I wanted
to find my 2-10-4 information. What I found is no less
than than VERY VERY VERY IIIINTEREEEEESTING!!! ( Said
with german or austrian accent).And maybe even
shocking !! What I found was Lima Design information
for an ERIE 2-10-4. Yes,I said LIMA ,not Baldwin,as is
printed in Erie Power.

	Anyways this is only a teaser! As I was finding
myself severely sidetracked and getting more curious
by the second, I needed to reign myself in and focus
back on preparations for working in 1:1 scale for this
weekend. So keep this discussion in your minds until
after this next holiday so as to give me time to look
at all data ( Erie,C&O,AT&SF,PRR eeeeek!and NKP,Lima
and Advisory Mechanical Committee) do some
calculations and so forth  and get back with a report.
I think the findings will suprise you and maybe make a
good article for the Diamond or Trains.

	And By the Way!

 ERIE Clearences where HUGE. Going from Large guage to
4'8" left alot of room. Track spacing from center to
center and from track to stationary structures was the
widest of any railroad. One reason most large western
engines were shipped Via Erie to their destinations.
You used to be able to look up that information on
line but not after 9/11 , I get access denied, not
authorized.

The Book " Set Up Running " is excellent and should
almost be required reading on many levels. It really
gives the living conditions of a railroadman ( boy are
we pampered today) , insight into true operations and
procedures, and great steam stories. Only draw back is
he work for the Pennsy " The Standard Railroad of the
world" instead of a Deluxe or Premium Railroad like
the Erie or NKP strove and achieved. The fact is the
Pennsy never really designed a better locomotive and
in reality most of thier designs failed , they just
threw more of them at the problem to make the
inadiquacies go away.
So now everybody knows my opinin of Pennsy, no hate
mail please.

Be back with info next week.

Rich Young