(erielack) D&H PA 16 on the NJ&NY

In a message dated 12/08/2001 7:04:13 AM Pacific Standard Time,
jananran_@_mymailstation.com writes:  (Randy Brown)

> Since we've gotten to NJ&NY operations, did any of you see the D&H PA on
its
> one and only venture into Erie commuter service?

Since you asked, Randy, the answer is yes.  What's better, is that I have
five photos of D&H PA 16 eastbound in Hillsdale.  If anyone's interested,
I'll scan it and place it on my photopoint site.

I believe the year was 1970 or 1971.  I was 14 at the time and had just begun
photographing trains.  I lived about 3/4 of a mile west of the tracks on
Hillsdale Avenue.  Hillsdale station was at the intersection of the two main
roads in town, Hillsdale Ave (E/W), and Broadway (N/S).  The PA had a horn
(Nathan M5 I think) that sounded unlike anything I had ever heard before in
my life.

I heard the PA westbound the night before, and wondered what it was.  The
next morning I heard the train blowing for the crossing at Woodcliff Lake,
one stop west of Hillsdale.  I must have been dressed at the time, so I
grabbed my camera, mounted my Schwinn and raced down Hillsdale Avenue to
Hillsdale Station.

I got to the crossing just seconds before the train did, but I was badly
winded.  My photos show evidence of both inexperience in shooting trains, and
being out of breath.  The result is that I have a few shots of the
locomotive, but not a good shot of the train in it's environment.

Lack of trophy photo not withstanding, this was an event that focused and
expanded my interest in trains from that day forward.

It is interesting to note that later when E8s were assigned to the NJ&NY,
they operated in pairs to eliminate the need to turn the units.  This always
struck me as unusual, in that a single RS2, RS3 or GP7 @ 1500-1600 HP had
handled these trains previously, and now they were handled by twin E8s at
4500HP.  But it sure made for a good looking train!   The PA, however,
operated solo.  I assume that it was run light to the wye at Nanuet for
turning.

Does anyone know how many days the PA operated on the NJ&NY?  I suspect it
was only once, otherwise I would have heard it.  Did the 16 or other D&H PA
run on any other commuter train in this period?

Regards to all from the left coast.
Tim Costello
Irvine, CA