Re: (erielack) NJ&NY-power on east end of train

It has been NJT practice for many years to run the first train of the
morning with the engine at the east end on ALL lines.  This probably
derives from an incident with a Tri-State charter in the early 1980's.
That trip went out uneventfully, but during the day vandals left a mounted
truck tire on the tracks.  The return trip was made in push mode as usual.

Although the engineer saw the tire and slowed the train (probably avoiding
a derailment), the train did hit the tire and damaged the cab car.  NJT
began to raise a stink about 'If you hadn't chartered that train, this
accident wouldn't have happened' when our committee responded that they
were right - instead, the first train from Suffern would have hit the
tire, messing up the entire morning rush hour instead.

Since then, the morning's first train has run with the engine leading, all
year long - not just in the winter for snow and ice, EVEN on the
Morristown line, where the first trip is a diesel set originating at Lake
Hopatcong...  Hackettstown trains deadhead west from Port Morris, so they
clear the track on the way out.

- --- GORDON SMITH <kc2bw_@_worldnet.att.net> wrote:
> Train 1600's equiptment was kept with the engine east out for breaking
> snow and ice on the crossings since it was the first train down the
> branch in the morning.

=====
Gary R. Kazin
DL&W Milepost R35.7
Rockaway, New Jersey

New Jersey Transit - THE WAY TO GO!!!

(I have no affiliation with New Jersey Transit.)