Re: (erielack) Pascack Valley / NJ&NY name change?

In a message dated 12/7/2001 7:27:37 PM Eastern Standard Time,
jjordan_@_blast.net writes:

> Just a note relating to other this railroad on another string:
> reported in the "Paterson Guardian" in March 1861: 'The engine
> Bergen, No.3 (a 4-2-0 type) ran off the open drawbridge over
> the Hackensack (river) and was buried in the river bottom.
> No evidence had ever been found that it was recovered.'

Isn't that some story?  I read about it in Wilson Jones and referenced it a
week or two ago in the railraod rumors thread.  I wonder if there are any
remains.  Physically it is possible, but I wonder if they can be located.
Anyone know anybody who has gone diving in that area?  Obviously it's not as
much fun as a reef in the Caribbean, but just wondering.

Michael Sheehy
NJ & NY RR/ Erie Milepost JC 34 "Summit Park Station"

Homepages: hometown.aol.com/njnyrr
                    njnyrr.homestead.com (in progress)