(erielack) EL detour map

Listers:

Michael Sheehy asked a question re: need for detour maps.

They were kept on hand at EL offices to allow employees on those lines to
see what detours would be in effect if there was an accident, derailment,
etc that would block traffic on their sections of the line (assuming no
other alternate routes over EL tracks existed -  e.g.  derailment in the
vicinity of Alfred / Almond, NY occurs (as it did in either 67 or 68),
traffic would most likely be routed up Buffalo Div. to River Jct and then
River Line to Cuba to rejoin main).

A few years ago, I found on George Elwood's site, the one for the Allegany
Div. I was curious as how traffic would be detoured if a section of the EL
main through my hometown of Wellsville was taken out of service.  As I best
recall the map was prepared in the late 50's or early 60's.

One route which I recall was illustrated was the use of the WAG (former B&O,
nee B&S) line from Wellsville south to Galeton PA and then north east to
Addison, NY where it would rejoin the EL.  At best, I was only a couple of
years old when this map was produced, so I can't comment on the condition of
the WAG at that particular time, but I do recall it from about 65 / 66 up
until operations ceased in 72, that the roadbed was in terrible condition.
I find it hard to see that the EL would have used it to detour the large
through-freights and piggybacks, as it was really only suited to the short
freights the WAG ran on it, and at greatly reduced speeds.

As I best recall, I believe George had several other detour maps on his
site.

Regards,

Chris

Christopher R. Thurner