(erielack) NJNY Information

I went back into my collection of timetables and found this
information on the NJNY.  The TT issued 9-23-68 is headed:  "NY
Divison, N.J.& N.Y. Branch".  I suspect this is about the time that
EL assumed total ownership of the line because of the odd date of
the timetable issue.  EL mailed this to me with a complete set of
timetables that went into effect at the time change at the end of
October.

The TT issued 10-26-69 is headed:  "NY Division N.J. & N.Y.
Branch, Pascack Valley Line".  After that it became just the
Pascack Valley Line.

I hope that clears up some of the confusion about the name
change of the line.  I have often wondered just who Horace Banta
was.  Usually the courts appoint a judge to act as trustee for a
company in bankruptcy.  NJ & NY seemed to have Horace Banta's
name attached to it for quite some time.  I believe you can find his
name present in the early 50s.

A similar situation of name change on a line was the Northern
Branch.  In the early part of the 20th century, timetables identified
it as "Northern Railroad of New Jersey".  Old Erie employees also
knew it by that name even up through the 60s.

Ed Montgomery