RE: (erielack) March 9, 1973

> When the passenger movement knew they were on the Graham
> Line and not on the old main, why didn't the conductor just keep
> moving the train to keep ahead of CX-99?  They knew it was
> coming.

That's the thing; I DON'T think they knew it was coming. That red block they
ran could have been indicating a train was AHEAD of them.

> Secondly,  when the train ran through the switch on to the
> Graham line, why didn't all of the signals for CX-99 go red?  I would
> assume the signals around NJ were absolute, so they would have
> to stop.  Didn't some warning light go off at Hoboken when the
> passenger extra wound up on the Graham Line?  1973 was well
> into the CTC era.  There should have been warnings all over the
> place.

Probably were, but with the fog and the speed of CX-99, I don't think there
was enough time to react.

> I assume that just about everyone related to this incident is now
> retired.  It was probably the worst day of their job in railroading.

It would have been much worse if someone had perished, and mercifully,
everyone lived to talk about it...