(erielack) March 9, 1973

I have been interested in reading all the comments about the wreck
at NJ nearly 29 years ago.  I have a couple of questions about this
that someone who knows more about the operating rules than I.

When the passenger movement knew they were on the Graham
Line and not on the old main, why didn't the conductor just keep
moving the train to keep ahead of CX-99?  They knew it was
coming.  Secondly,  when the train ran through the switch on to the
Graham line, why didn't all of the signals for CX-99 go red?  I would
assume the signals around NJ were absolute, so they would have
to stop.  Didn't some warning light go off at Hoboken when the
passenger extra wound up on the Graham Line?  1973 was well
into the CTC era.  There should have been warnings all over the
place.

I assume that just about everyone related to this incident is now
retired.  It was probably the worst day of their job in railroading.

Ed Montgomery