(erielack) Important Lackawanna announcement

Hi all..
Just wanted to hope to be the 1st to let you know,
that Bill Davidson, the last remaining DL&W steam engineer will be retiring
on January 4, 2002 after a remarkable 55 years of service.
Bill is one of the nicest and most knowledgeable Lackawanna people I have
ever known.  I'm quite certain, that in the USA he is in the top 5 engineers
currently at his job, for that length of time.. Infact, In my opinion he is
approximately #2, according to a UTU newsletter that i recently browsed
through.. This is extrordinary.
He actually hired out on the Erie in 1943, working in a shop. Bill was
furloughed, and  was then hired by the DL&W on 11-25-1946. He loved the
Lackawanna, and continues to love what he does.. Knowing Bill, for more than
half of my life, I want him to have a special retirement... He is a very
quiet, humble, reserved man, and never had a bad word to say about anyone..
This will not only be a rewarding day for him, but also, a tough one.  His
wife, MaryAnn has asked me, to come forward and let people know about his
leaving. Because Bill has never been in the spotlight, during his magnificent
career, I would like to take this opportunity to ask a favor of all of you..
If you could just take a moment of your time, to add Bill to your
Christmas/holiday card list, to congratulate him, I know it would touch him
very deeply, especially from people in the railroad community, such as
yourselves that he dosent even know.. This after all, is the end of an era,
and he is such a nice man. Those of you out there who do know him, such as
Bill Guimes, Steve Kay, Bob Bahrs, and Mike Delvecchio,and many more, know
just what a special person he is, and an inspiration to us all..  If you
would be so kind as to send this card, Bill, and his wife, would be so
touched.. If you do send one, and you would like to tell him, that I informed
you, thats fine, or just anonymous, would be fine too.. Thanks to all of you
for taking the time to read this.
If you would like to take part in this, please email me at Lederer73_@_aol.com
and I will quickly email you his address, this way as not to post it on the
internet.

Thanks again, from me, and Mrs. Davidson

- -Pat Lederer
Conductor, NJT