Re: (erielack) The March 9, 1973 head-on wreck at NJ tower

It was not assumed that they had the signal at NJ. The fog was extremely
thick that morning. The crew got lost in it, passed under the bridge at
Arden, which was our warning, when we heard the roar of the engine, that we
were getting close to the interlocking. But they had the cab windows closed,
and the U-34s were very noisey in the cab when in passenger run. So much so
that they didn't hear themselves pass under the bridge. They were passing
thru NJ before they knew what had happened. It wasn't 30 seconds before they
were hit from behind.

Gordon

To reply take the 33  from the address

> > > On this morning it was foggy as X51 approached NJ on track 2.  Fast
> closing
> > > in
> > > also on NJ was 99 on track 1.  Apparently the deadhead assumed he'd
have
> the
> > > dwarf.
> > >
> > > Instead the route was lined for CX99 up the Graham Line.  X51 wasn't
> > > expecting
> > > this, and compounded by poor visibility, didn't see the dwarf signal,
> and
> > > ran
> > > through the switch into the interlocking, stopping when he realized he
> was
> > > headed up the Graham.  Into his rear came 99, which had been running
at
> > > authorized speed approaching NJ, as they had a favorable aspect at
NJ's