Re: (erielack) PATH question was AMTRAK F-40s for Pocono service?

Hello, All!

The brain-fade is over! I have yet another degree in hand (Electrical
Engineering, this time), and I can railroad again!

Many roads banned the transportation of motion picture film in anything
other than a specially-designed Film Processing car.

Early motion picture film was made of celluloid...'plastic'
nitrocellulose... which is just this side of gasoline vapor for
flammability. Not only would an errant spark or cinder be a problem, but NC
is also prone to exploding on impact, and will happily self-ignite at the
slightest provocation, even in a film can (the chemists in the group can
tell you that it supplies its own oxygen as it burns).

'Safety' film overcame this problem...the 'safety' is that it doesn't burn
unless you want it to...mostly, anyway.

BTW...it is still unlawful to transport celluloid film on a passenger
airliner, or through any of the New York tunnels.

Bill Gallagher