Re: (erielack) H&M to GCT, was PATH question

Mike asked:

> Wonder if this scheme has anything to do with why the Stillwells
look so much
> like the early H&M cars.  A "family" apperance of rolling stock was
quite the
> tradition in that era.  The Stillwells looked like a steam-road
version of
> the original H&M tubes cars.  Hmmmm.

Squeezing 'em around the Morton St tunnel would have been an
interesting feat in any case <g>.

Seriously, with all due respect to Schuyler's posting, it should be
noted that the H&M had similar agreements with everyone but the
Lackawanna.

The PRR made actual use of their agreement by operating "through"
service to Hudson Terminal, since there were exclusive PRR-owned
trains that ran Exchange Place- HT only offering checked baggage and
other amenities.  These would appear as "through" trains in some
timetables, but would be better classified as "dedicated,
connection-owned" trains.

As far as i can determine, that was the intention of the H&M witrh the
Erie as well -- Erie owned H&M-sized trains connecting exclusively
with Erie trains at the Pavonia terminal. If anyone has any evidence
that the Erie/H&M had anything more than that in the works, I'd love
to see it.

In short -- no prospect at any time for [Erie] Stillwells to GCT.

Cheers,
Jim