Re: (erielack) ABPR of 6-24-00

At 12:13 PM 06/26/2000 EDT, Gary R.Kazin wrote:
>The Jordans <"pamela_@_blast.net"> wrote:
>> Good Morning Gang-
>>
>> I noticed, looking over the pictures posted this morning from Henry Preibe
>of apparently a group of passenger car pictures labeled "US Navy RR,
>Earle,NJ".  Was this a URHS event?  I noticed at least one of the cars is
>marked on the end URHS and the everpresent New Jersey Railroads car #5450 is
>in the pictures. When did this take place and was the event in conjunction
>with the Navy at the old ammunitions base at Earle, NJ?  It's all posted at:
>

>Yes, yes, yes.  It ran Saturday and Sunday, 6/24 and 25, 9am and 1pm.  The
>Navy had an open house on Friday and Saturday that included a concert and a
>circus!  I was a car-host Saturday and we had good patronage.  The URHS web
>site had ticket ordering forms - $35 for either day, both trips.  The photo
>runbys were at different places in the am and pm, opposite side of the
train.
>Single trip tickets were given to Navy personnel and also sold there each
day.
> The Navy security forces paced the train (well, actually they out ran us
>constantly) to open and close gates, protect crossings (although there is
>proper gate protection) and keep the photo lines in order (the last under the
>direction of Kermit Geary, Jr).  We ran from the main yard inside the base
>nearly to the end of the pier, where there are crossovers allowing the
engines
>to change ends.

Gary-

Is that where the train originated?  At the end of the Earle yard?  Or was
there an "excursion" from somewhere to Earle?  Such as Jersey City,
Hoboken, or via the NY&LB or was it confined to strictly the base?  Did the
cars get shuffled down to Monmouth Country during the week or how did they
get there?  How long a run time and mileage did the train have in Earle?
As I remember that base is very large but that was years ago and I thought
I heard some of the base land has been turned over to the county/state for
park/wetlands conservation use.  Thanks in advance for your answers, Gary.

- -Joe Jordan

>If anyone wants my 'trip report', I'll be happy to email it off list.
>
> Gary Kazin
> DL&W milepost R35.7
> Rockaway, New Jersey
>
> New Jersey Transit - THE WAY TO GO!!!
>
> (I have no affiliation with New Jersey Transit.)

>Get your own FREE, personal Netscape WebMail account today at
http://webmail.netscape.com.

>Visit the erielack photopage at http://el-list.railfan.net

Joe Jordan
mailto: "pamela_@_blast.net"