Re: (erielack) ABPR of 6-24-00

The Jordans <"pamela_@_blast.net"> wrote:
> Good Morning Gang-
> =

> I noticed, looking over the pictures posted this morning from Henry Pre=
ibe
of apparently a group of passenger car pictures labeled "US Navy RR,
Earle,NJ".  Was this a URHS event?  I noticed at least one of the cars is=

marked on the end URHS and the everpresent New Jersey Railroads car #5450=
 is
in the pictures. When did this take place and was the event in conjunctio=
with the Navy at the old ammunitions base at Earle, NJ?  It's all posted =
at:

Yes, yes, yes.  It ran Saturday and Sunday, 6/24 and 25, 9am and 1pm.  Th=
Navy had an open house on Friday and Saturday that included a concert and=
circus!  I was a car-host Saturday and we had good patronage.  The URHS w=
eb
site had ticket ordering forms - $35 for either day, both trips.  The pho=
runbys were at different places in the am and pm, opposite side of the tr=
ain. =

Single trip tickets were given to Navy personnel and also sold there each=
 day.
 The Navy security forces paced the train (well, actually they out ran us=

constantly) to open and close gates, protect crossings (although there is=

proper gate protection) and keep the photo lines in order (the last under=
 the
direction of Kermit Geary, Jr).  We ran from the main yard inside the bas=
nearly to the end of the pier, where there are crossovers allowing the en=
gines
to change ends.

If anyone wants my 'trip report', I'll be happy to email it off list.

 Gary Kazin
 DL&W milepost R35.7
 Rockaway, New Jersey

 New Jersey Transit - THE WAY TO GO!!!

 (I have no affiliation with New Jersey Transit.)

Get your own FREE, personal Netscape WebMail account today at http://webm=
ail.netscape.com.