(erielack) Last steam on Boonton Line

This day in Sussex Branch History:

June 5, 1953 - engine No. 1135 (a 4-6-2 pacific,) on Branchville
Milktrain No. 1050 made the final steam-powered run up the Sussex Branch
of the DL&W.  This run ended all steam on the Boonton Line.

The Newton water tank lasted until July 7, 1953.
- ------
'Twas after the War that the diesels took hold,
And made all the steamers begin to look old.
They dropped their coal fires and went off to scrap.
In the hearts of steam drivers there'd be a large gap.

Oh, will you remember that Sussex Branch 'Road?
'Twas built 'round the hills, through the fields newly sown.
It bridged our small rivers; our towns it did link.
To Branchville for milk and to Franklin for zinc.
- --
July 10 is Sussex Branch Memorial Day!
http://members.xoom.com/sbdlw/