(erielack) Santa Fe/EL

considering acquiring the EL back in the 70s.  <underline>Death Of An
American Railroad</underline> covers the story quite well.  However, I wonder
what N&W might have done if ATSF had really made an offer.
N&W was not that pleased to be EL's guardian, however, would they
have wanted ATSF's competition in their market?  Just imagine how
much traffic the old NKP and Wabash might have lost.  N&W didn't
seem concerned with EL going into Conrail because at that time the
whole northeast rail situation was a big looser.  I don't think they
would have had the same attitude if ATSF had approached the ICC
with a real offer for the EL.

Ed

<nofill>