Re: (erielack) Helper Engines at Campbell Hall, NY

Dear Mike and Group,

"mike1144_@_frontiernet.net" wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
>
> Last weekend while watching trains at Campbell Hall (ex-Erie) I
> noticed two GP40s.  One was NS and had a high nose the other was
> Conrail and had a "normal" nose.  Two questions for the list - the
> high nose GP40 I had never seen before - is that a particular trait of
> NS?  or were they common on other NE railroads?

Both the Norfolk & Western and Southern Railroad had a preference for
high-nose Geeps, long after most other railroads had switched to
low-nose units and chopped the noses on their remaining high-nose
units.  This practice seems to have continued on the merged Norfolk
Southern.

N&W high-nose Geeps usually operated long-hood forward, don't know about
the SR ones.  I just recently discovered that EL high-nose Geeps had the
"F" painted on the long hood end, perhaps as a result of N&W / Dereco
control of the EL... although, come to think about it, the DL&W
high-nose Geeps also had the "F" on the long hood end.  Not sure about
Erie units.

> Also, the Conrail
> engine was recently renumbered 3013 and had a "PRR" under the number.
> Does this mean that it was an ex-Pennsy engine? and did they do this
> for the sale?

Conrail began painting PRR reporting marks on equipment destined for NS,
and NYC on equipment destined for CSX after the merger.

Cheers,
Alan <"quahog_@_sprint.ca">