(erielack) Concordance Map (was re: Further Query-EL West End)

A Samostie <"quahog_@_sprint.ca"> wrote:

>>Dear Group,

>>Based on this request about the EL (Erie) West End and my previous
>>request for information about the DL&W west of Corning, it sounds like
>>what we really need is a 'concordance map,' if one does not already
>>exist.  I find it difficult to visualize what portions still exist, or
>>which shortlines operate the various segments based on verbal
>>descriptions alone.

>>Such a map would show all former DL&W and Erie lines, with different
>>line symbols to designate mainline vs. branchline trackage.  The
>>shortline operators and dates of operation (or, sadly, abandonment) of
>>each of the truncated segments would be shown.

>>I have a degree in geogrpahy and cartographic experience, so I'd be
>>willing to take it on or work with others in preparing the map(s).  What
>>I would need is the operational data to be shown on the maps.  I'd
>>appreciate comments from the group about this idea (but no data just
>>yet)... if we're going to do it, I'd like to make sure that the finished
>>product is "complete" based on the group's information needs.

>>Cheers,
>>Alan Samostie <"quahog_@_sprint.ca">

Alan,
I think a new concordance map would be great! I can visualize a nice large,
fold out version that would allow you to find old abandoned roadbeds as well
as identify current lines that are from Erie, DL&W and EL vintage. You could
label the tracks with the symbols from these railroads. The small maps found
in many books leave much to be desired. Why you are at it major landmarks
(stations, tunnels, bridges, railyards) could also be labelled.

Marty Larson
ELHS # 3033