(erielack) RE: "Hog Mountain" branch DLW

NEW HAVEN U25B wrote:

> Never heard or saw this, the Hog Mountain Branch I know the DLW had a
> branch through Mountain Lakes which explains the wide area from the
> main road on right heading south where sidewalk is. Apprears to have
> been an extesion of the Rockaway Branch where the "wye" ends before
> the Rite-Aid drug store plaza

As I said the "Hog Mountain" branch was mentioned in Tom Taber's book.

The wide area on The Boulvard was the ROW of the Morris County Traction
branch from Denville to Boonton.

The "Hog Mountain" branch ( my naming) is shown on the 1906, reprinted
1921, 15' Geologic Survey Map Morristown Quadrangle, seen at the NYPL

"MDelvec952_@_aol.com" wrote:

>         Do you have a contact or an address for the Montville Hist. Soc?>

There is no listing in the telephone book for the Montville Historical
Society but it is located in Taylortown Road, Montville NJ 07045.  It is
in an old schoolhouse just north of Main Street.

> That branch is the Rockaway River & Montville -- never heard it called the
> Hog Mountain branch.>

That sounds like the name in the pictures.  I don't remember if Tabor
gave it a name.

> I just found a map of it in the NJ State Archives in
> Trenton. One of the great mystery railroads, to be sure.

It was a specialized, short lived railroad.  No big mystery, just very
obscure and hard to find information.  Was the map you saw the same as I
mentioned?

bob gillis