Re: (erielack) Scanton Pax Service

"Tupaczewski, Paul R (Paul)" wrote:

>  2) Locomotives:  The Genesis 2 engines can't handle the trains  in the North
> River tunnels due to the grades, over 2% in both
>  directions.  Remember, they are 3000-something horsepower in diesel  mode,
> but considerably less in electric mode.  It's equivalent to having a built-in
> electric switch engine.  You'd probably need two engines to get 6 cars through
> the tunnel at
> speed.
>
> I'm not sure about that... Remember, you have a downgrade into the tunnels,
> and you can pick up a good amount of speed for the climb out... Any engineers
> on this list care to comment?

Two engines on a commuter train is not an option. The cost would be prohibitive.
The longer distance trains to Scranton, maybe.

If you can't make the hill in the North River Tunnel at track speed with one
engine then give it up because there is no such thing as "running for the hill"
in commuter service and especially in that place. Trains normally pull out of
Benson street with six cars and that hill is nearly 2%. I have no doubt that the
Genesis engine will pull six cars through the North River Tunnels at track speed
even on third rail or under the catenary wire given the right gear ratios.

I can't see, however, putting a pantagraph on a genesis engine because the
designers (being the geniuses we all know them to be) will want the engine to
make automatic voltage change over at Kearney Junction with the result that you
will end up with an ALP-44 with a diesel engine inside, a decidedly complex, and
exceedingly expensive, piece of machinery or dubious reliability. I think a
better solution would be to extend the third rail to Allied junction and order
the Genesis engines as Metro North and Amtrak have ordered. Cheaper in the long
run as just as efficient. Then you could do the power changeover while sitting
in the station.

Steve
- --
Chauffeur to the Masses