Re: (rshsdepot) Terminals before 1900

- ----- Original Message -----
From: "James Kelling" <james.kelling_@_nara.gov>
To: <rshsdepot_@_lists.railfan.net>
Sent: Monday, March 12, 2007 9:47 AM
Subject: Re: (rshsdepot) Terminals before 1900

>I think Portland (OR) Union Station also predates 1900.  The first
> "Union Station" was at Indianapolis in 1853.
>
> J. Kelling

There were numerous Union Stations before 1853. A "union" station was
any one where the lines of two or more railroads intersected and exchanged
passengers. They were usually jointly owned and operated by the RRs involved.
I know for a fact that the Providence & Worcester/Boston & Providence/
Providence & Stonington (the P&S later became the New York, Providence
& Boston) Union Station in Providence opened in 1847. At the time, it was
reputed to be the largest railroad station in the world, nearly 700 feet long, with
four tracks under a shed on the west (New York) side, and four more under an
identical shed on the east (Worcester/Boston) side. It was destroyed by a fire
in 1892.

Photo here :
http://www.artinruins.com/arch/stillinuse/unionstation/

NOTE : the historical account from the RI Foundation's website has numerous
errors and omissions

Jim.