(rshsdepot) Hoosick Falls, NY

Story and video from WNYT-TV.

(Note: When looking at historic photos of the station this does not seem to
be the passenger station)

Bernie Wagenblast

Link to fire photo and video:

http://www.wnyt.com/x11680.xml?ag=x156
<http://www.wnyt.com/x11680.xml?ag=x156&sb=x183> &sb=x183

Link to historic photo of station:

http://www.hoosickhistory.com/pictures/images/railstation.jpg

Flames burn historic Hoosick Falls train depot. 10 fire companies fight
blaze.

By ABIGAIL BLECK, WNYT-TV (Albany, NY), Jan. 18, 2007

HOOSICK FALLS - A midday fire ignited a piece of local history Thursday
in Hoosick Falls.

Firefighters from New York and Vermont battled the flames and the cold
weather at the old Hoosick Falls train depot.

The original depot was built in 1853. It's owned by the Boston and
Maine Railroad. The 65x25-foot depot is currently used for maintenance
projects and serves as headquarters for the local rail workers.

Investigators believe two of those workers were inside, but got out
safely when the fire broke out just after noon.

"When we got her we had heavy fire condition in the office area. We
were able to contain it to the office area and the attic above," said
Assistant Hoosick Falls Fire Chief Ted Senecal.

It took 10 fire companies close to an hour to control the flames.  They
were still fighting the hot spots Thursday evening.

One firefighter hurt his arm in the process. He was taken to the
hospital.

"Being an old building, it's got a lot of holes in the floor for access
to the trains in the past. So that kind of hampered guys going in and
being able to see where they're going.  We didn't want to have anybody
falling through the floors," Senecal said.

Besides putting the fire out, rescue workers also had to worry about
the flames reaching oxygen tanks stored inside the depot. That would
have made a bad situation even worse.

"The oxygen acetylene is highly flammable," Senecal said. "So if it got
over into that we could have had explosions."

Investigators were on the scene Thursday evening trying to find the
cause of the blaze.

Traffic was diverted around the area for hours Thursday afternoon.